Saturday, July 22, 2017

[INTERVIEW] Kim Yongguk for STAR1

Getting colored into Kim Yongguk 
(t/n: This is such an...awkward word to translate)

Kim Yongguk (21) is like the air. So clean and clear, it was to the point you couldn't feel his presence. But through the stage 'If It Was You', Kim Yongguk's calm voice was quietly imprinted into a place in our hearts. He closed his two eyes and sang as the lyrics were imprinted into our hearts.

Your name and appearance seems like a Korean person, but you are actually Chinese. You are really good at Korean so we were all fooled. How did you learn Korean?
Yongguk: There is a Korean neighborhood in Shanghai. I danced with Korean hyungs and was close with them, so I naturally learned the language. At first, I knew the Korean word, but I couldn't think of a phrase. After using body language, I slowly started learning the language. People think I'm from Busan because of the way I talk. The hyungs I was close with in China and the hyungs that cared for me in Korea are all from Busan. I thought that was the main dialect, I thought, "Oh, this is Korean" so I copied the hyungs' way of talking.

The lifestyle of Korea and China are very different.
Yongguk: It is very different. First off, the environment of Korea is very clean. But there is one thing I'm very lazy about. You have to separate the trash very often. Haha. And the people are very kind. When you ask about the directions in Korea, people kindly help you.

How do you overcome living in a different country?
Yongguk: I get lonely very often. I like playing games, so I overcome my loneliness with it. I mainly play <Overwatch> or <Dual of Legend> and I learned lots of weird slang through it. One of the words I learned 3 years ago was 'So good' (t/n: the words can be literally translated into Dog Pig) so I figured out that you use this word when you are happy, and when I receive vacation after practicing, I would say 'Oh? So good!'. I don't say it anymore.

How did you decide on appearing on <Produce 101 Season 2>
Yongguk: Honestly, I gave up on my dream of being an idol and went back to China 1~2 years ago. While practicing, I missed my home and the system was too tiring for me, and I couldn't really adapt to it despite a year passing so it was hard for me. So I said I'd quit and went back to China. But when I went back, there was nothing to do. It felt like I failed at life. I was really numb, like I finished living my entire life. And in the midst of that, <Produce 101 Season 1> was airing. While watching lots of people practice for their dreams I thought to myself, "Ah, I shouldn't have given up, I want to do it again". And I was lucky for our company CEO to give me a call. He used to be in the company I used to be a trainee of and he said he had his eye on me and he was wondering if I wanted to become a trainee under his company. I didn't think twice and said, "Yes, thank you" and packed my bags and went back to Korea. While I was practicing, I received news of <Produce 101 Season 2> and got to go on it. I was very lucky.

Fans are curious about the tattoo on your collarbone. What meaning does it have?
Yongguk: About a week before I went to Korea, I got a tattoo in China. It says, 'LIFE FOR MUSIC'; it means that I am starting new in Korea and I want to remember my roots. It's basically a pledge. But the meaning is a bit cringey. So when somebody asks me to show it, I can't.

trans @nudongs
scan @syns2min









No comments:

Post a Comment

[NEWS] Wanna One will return to their houses/dorms to rest until there are group schedules!

original article  Wanna One has been rewarded with a short free time after 3 weeks of promotions. According to representatives, Wanna ...